and it’s also one of my favourites to answer…..
Can I [Insert exercise here]
- Run 🏃♀️?
- Do crunches?
- Do deadlifts 🏋🏻♀️ ?
- Pretty please go back to basketball 🏀?
- Jump on the trampoline?
And guess what my answer is?
…. it depends!
- It depends on how your body is feeling
- It depends on what you’ve been doing to prepare yourself for [insert exercise here]
- It depends if you have the coordination, strength, endurance, control and awareness to do [insert exercise here] well and know you’re doing it well
Because one size does not fit all.
- All prolapses are not the same
- All back pain is not the same
- All ankle injuries are not the same
- All women are not the same
And it’s often not WHAT you do, but HOW you do it.
- Some women need to work harder, some need to slow down
- Some women need more cues, some need less
- Some women need to see themselves, some just need to feel themselves
And this one is for sure…
- Knowledge is POWER
- Learning about your body, learning what your body needs to feel it’s best, learning what it looks and feels like when your body is at it’s limit… is EMPOWERING!
So these are the most common questions I get asked in clinic when I am seeing women, especially after having babies.
I had two clients in the past week alone who made appointments JUST to learn more about their bodies!
- To make sure they were doing the exercises well in their group classes and didn’t need to self-modify anything.
- To make sure they weren’t ignoring signs they shouldn’t be.
- To make sure they were on the right path to meet their goals.
And this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy 🥰
If you feel you could learn more about your body, it’s time to go and find your person! Someone who can:
- Show you how to move your body, to teach you how to listen to what your body is telling you, to help you make a plan so that you and your body can reach your goals together.
And if you think your person might be me 🙋♀️ then please contact me 😉