The cooler autumn weather has well and truly kicked in, making getting out of bed that little bit harder. We’re treating a few more stiff backs and necks and are hearing a few more complaints about sore joints, especially in the mornings. So…here are 5 gentle exercises to get your body moving in the morning. The best thing about them? They can be started in bed and should help kick-start your day!
* none of these should cause pain. If you do experience discomfort stronger than a stretch, please ask for advice.
1. KNEE ROCKING
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat
- Rock your knees from side to side, as far as you can comfortably go
- Continue rocking for 30-60 seconds
2. LUMBAR ROTATION STRETCH
- Extend one leg and bend your other knee
- With your opposite arm, take your bent knee across your body, feeling a gentle stretch in your hip and lower back
- Hold for 20-30 seconds each side
3. EXTENSION ON ELBOWS/HANDS
- Roll onto your stomach
- Gently brace your abdominals push up onto your hands (or elbows if it is more comfortable)
- Drop your shoulders away from your ears and keep your hips down
- Hold for 10 seconds seconds and repeat 5 times
4. CHILD’S POSE
- Push up and sit your bottom back onto your heels, extending your arms out
- Hold for 30-60 seconds
5. SPINAL ROLL DOWNS
- Get out of bed!
- Stand comfortably, gently engage your core
- Slowly roll head, then shoulders, then chest forwards.
- Continue rolling down one vertebrae at a time until you are hanging in a full forward bend with neck relaxed
- Gently roll back up, starting with the lower back and continuing through the spine to lift the head last
- Repeat 3 times